[mythtv-users] MySQL datadir is empty or invalid - error msg.

Bill Suit bsuit at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 12 17:38:30 UTC 2006

\Rant - mysql has been kicking my ass for the last several days. I'm mad as
hell and am not going to take this any more :>) end Rant\

Now, back to reality. Gentoo kernel 2.6.15-r5. MySQL-5.0.18-r30.
Mythtv-0.19_p9163. I have un/re emerged once, maybe twice (my brain is
starting to glaze over now).

I have made it as far as configuring myth-setup, through all five parts. I
imagine some setting there has caused my current problem.

The problem:

(root)#/etc/init.d/mysql start
x(green)           ...
x(red) my_print_defaults NOT found or not executable
x(red)  MySQL datadir is empty or invalid
x(red)  Please check your my.cnf : /etc/mysql/my.cnf

I did not have an /etc/mysql dir (I suspect this is an indication of the
problem). I have an /etc/mysql-500 dir with a my.cnf file in it. So, made
an /etc/mysql dir and copied (as root) the existing my.cnf to the /etc/mysql
dir. Tried starting mysql again. Same message repeated.

The permissions on the /etc/mysql/my.cnf:
(root)#ls -l
(root)#-rw-r--r--   1 root root 4130 Mar 12 11:34 /etc/mysql/my.cnf

/etc/mysql/my.cnf lists the datadir =/var/lib/mysql-500. This dir has a mysql
dir so I added it to the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file's datadir line
- /var/lib/mysql-500/mysql , Tried to start mysql again, same error message.

I also have tried modifying the /etc/my.cnf file, as I thought that was
supposed to be the first place checked. No difference in the error message.

Of course I can't get past the second, or so, mythtv-setup screen since it
can't connect to the database.

I've searched the mysql/mythtv-user and dev sites. Also looked at untold
numbers of other messages turned up through searching.

I think if I knew what was in this "datadir" I could find where it is and put
that address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf.

What else you need to know to help me?

TIA,
Bill