[mythtv-users] Help getting TV out to work - Knoppmyth, MX400 ?

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sun Mar 12 00:11:10 UTC 2006

I have an old PC that only supports early AGP specs,  and the only card
I have found with TV-out is an NVIDIA MX400, which has a composite TV
out connection

Following these instructions,
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8178/README/appendix-h.html

I added

HorizSync 30-50
VertRefresh 60

Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"

to my X config file

and installed the MX400 card  (the box already had a TNT2 card which I was using via an external VGA to TV convertor).

I watched it boot on the VGA monitor (which I also had connected to the card's VGA out) and as it started X,
the NVIDIA splash screen appeared on my TV (which had been blank up to this point).

Next the TV screen went gray, and showed a mouse cursor in the middle.

This is all normally what I see as it boots, and the next thing to normally appear is the blue background of the myth frontend.

Unfortunately, it doesn't go any further.  It just sits there with no hard disk activity. Looks like X is only partially initialising.

I swapped the TNT2 card back in, and reverted the config file to previous, and now it boots normally again.

Is the MX400 a problem card for linux/knoppmyth?  Is there any hope of getting this to work?