[mythtv-users] Audio - hiss

Scott Croft scott.croft at cox.net
Sat Mar 11 05:05:52 UTC 2006

First many thanks for the feedback.

I do not have much that can be moved around in the case.  It is a brand new
home built PC and only has two cards in it.  The AGP video card can not
move, and the TV card I have moved from the first to last slot and several
of the five other slots.  I have a DVD drive and one hard drive installed.
I tried some quick tinfoil shields, moving cables, checking for lose
connections, etc.  I do not have an analog cable running from the DVD to the
MB CD input.  During all my messing around I listen to the hiss with
headphones to see if I can tell any difference.  So far nothing I do can
change the hiss in the least bit other than changing the volume of the
system.  The hiss will go away if the line from the TV card to the sound
card is removed, or for a second when switching channels.  My undedicated
guess is one of two things.  I still have some type of feedback loop (bad
mixer settings or volume levels), or some type of grounding or short between
the TV card and the sound on the mother board.  I will try "borrowing" a
sound card from another PC to test the outcome tomorrow.

I could use some luck because I do not seem to have skill!