[mythtv-users] FTA channels on DishNetwork satellites

Matthew Geier matthew at sleeper.apana.org.au
Fri Mar 10 22:01:27 UTC 2006

Chris Petersen wrote:

> Anyway, I apparently got in way over my head, since I can't even seem to
> do a normal channel scan, or even figure out where to look up the
> information to set up mythtv to do the scan (no matter what I try, it
> hangs at 3% with no signal strength/etc).
>
> Can someone please point me in the right direction?

  You are going to need the frequency and parameter table for the
satellite your dish is pointing at.
  http://www.lyngsat.com/ is a good place to find that stuff.
  You will also need the tuning parameters of your 'LNB' on the dish and
just to simplify things you probably want to disconnect the dish
networks receiver when experimenting - as the dish receiver is probably
in control of the LNB and at least at this stage you want to simplify
things.

  It's probably also easier at this point NOT to use myth but
scan/dvbscan from the DVB tools.

eg
dvbscan -a 3 ./asiasat2 -l 5150

  Where in this case the DVB-S card was the 4th card in the machine.
(This one has 3 DVT-Ts in it), the file asiasat2 has the tuning
parameters for Asiasat2 that I got off the Lyngsat site and 5150 is my
'local occilator frequency'. There are actually more options, but in my
case the LNB is 'local powered' at the dish and 'hard wired' into
Horizontal mode, but there are a pile more LNB options to play with.

  Getting out of Myth and using dvbscan will make the experimentation
process much faster. When you get the tuning parameters right, scan will
generate a list of all the channels - including the encypted ones.
  Armed with now known good information, go back into myth...

  I don't actually use myth with DVB-S. The DVB-S card I have at work is
doing something else. (Streaming TV onto our LAN)