[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

Bob Cottingham bobnvic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 19:06:40 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Stef Coene <stef.coene at docum.org> wrote:
> On Friday 10 March 2006 18:58, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> > Well that's the question then: does it really take 6 seconds for the
> > tuner to tune to a channel?
<snip>
> I'm also surprised that there is a 3-second buffer.  I had a software based
> tuner card and now I use a PVR500.  Changing channels takes less then a
> second with both cards.  I never used my stopwatch, but it was more 0.3
> seconds or so.
> This was for 0.18.  I "upgraded" to 0.19 and changing channels takes now more
> then 3 seconds :(

I have PVR-x50s and found that the initial time to start Watch TV went
from 2-3 seconds to about 6 seconds going from .18 to .19, however
changing channels was significantly faster, taking perhaps 1-2 seconds
as opposed to 2-3 in .18.  I don't think I've heard of anyone else
stating that they have seen longer initial startup times but faster
channel changes  It is strange that some people with ivtv encoders saw
a significant speedup in channel changes and others saw a significant
slow down.  I don't know what could account for that.

Bob