[mythtv-users] 720x480 interlaced modeline for nvidia/svideo

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Mar 10 15:34:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 05:46 -0500, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>  	Search the archives and read my rant from about 2-3 weeks ago on
> the topic.  It's an inherently flawed quest to try to get "perfect" video
> out of a consumer tvout card.

On an nvidia card, maybe.  I guess we (nvidia users) are victims of the
closed source and specs.

But when I was using "the other" OSS PVR project a few years ago, I was
using a Matrox G400-TV with DirectFB, the interlacing was perfect.  I
recorded at full vertical resolution and half horizontal 35something X
480) and scaled the horizontal by 2x on output and the picture looked
perfect.

So it's doable with consumer level hardware, given the resources needed
(like datasheets) to do it.

That said, I still think X is way overbloated for a PVR.  But I guess
Myth's marriage to QT requires it.  :-(

b.

Brian J. Murrell