[mythtv-users] Has anyone tried upgrading an i386 to x64?

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 04:59:50 UTC 2006

> AFAIK all of the MythTV "distros" (ie: releases which install a more
> or less complete MythTV system on your machine) are 32-bit, even if
> you install them on 64-bit hardware.
>
> Your AMD processor should do a good job (I'm using a 3700+ clawhammer
> core) but running in 32-bit will not hurt you at all. You would be
> better off upgrading your storage if you want to improve your Myth
> system (although you don't mention what storage you have, it can
> always be improved :-))

Well Currently Storage wise I have 2 lvms
my pvr settings are for 480x480 at a bitrate that puts out 1.2gig per hour
(I dont recall what I set it to, I was looking for 1gig per hour  when I set
it)

2x120GB drives
2x250GB Drives

one of the 120s has a 10 gig cut out of it for boot drive and OS and Myth
and database, the rest and the other 120 are in an LVM and are my TV buffer
and recordings drive

the 2 250s are in another lvm which is used for my dvds and movies, and
currently for shifting drives around data from my other computers

I upgraded my Mythbox mainly because I wanted a PCI-E gaming computer and
through some wheeling and dealing I got parts for one, but didnt need 2
AMD64 desktops and though if I ever moved up to HD the extra processor power
would help, and it also has 8 SATA ports and an extra IDE header so I can
add more drives,  I was also wondering if there was a performance boost by
x64, but so far its sounding like theres not so I will prolly stay with x86,
I have read about smart and yum and issues with package selection when i386
and x64 packages are available, and I dont wanna fix my myth box anymore its
been almost 3 years playing with the project and everything is working.

Thanks for the info