[mythtv-users] .19 Mythweb htaccess problem

Martin Madsen martin at sprithuset.dk
Thu Mar 9 20:16:21 UTC 2006

>> <Directory /var/www/mythweb/>
>> AuthUserFile /var/www/mythweb/.htpasswd
>
>For one, put the htpasswd file outside of your web tree -- it's a mild
>security risk where you have it now.  (and will be easier to maintain
>across upgrades if you move it)

I understand you concern, I will fix that.

>> And this in my /etc/mythtv/mythweb-htaccess.conf / (Symlink to
>> /var/www/mythweb/mythweb-htaccess.conf)
>
>wtf is this file?

I actually miswrote that. The real file is /var/www/mythweb/.htaccess (which
is symlinked to /etc/mythtv/mythweb-htaccess.conf)

>> ################ start ###############
>>     AuthType           Digest
>>     AuthName           "MythTV"
>>     AuthDigestFile     /var/www/mythweb/htpasswd
>>     Require            valid-user
>> ################ end ################
>
>This conflicts with the Basic authtype you have listed above.  Digest
>and Basic are two completely different authentication types.  I switched
>the example code in the included .htaccess to digest becuase it's
>slightly more secure than basic, but it does require that you use
>htdigest and not htauth to generate the password files.

That bit cleared a lot up for me, I now understand that Basic and Digest
isn't the same and that I shout only use one of them.

Since you suggest Digest (htdigest) I wanted to use that, but I cannot get
apache2 to understand "AuthDigestFile /bla/bla". It complains about the
module not being loaded. And since I'm a noob at this I gave up loading this
module and chose Basic instead.

Anyway, for any other that might have problems I will post my configuration
done in httpd.conf:

<Directory /var/www/mythweb/>
AuthType           Basic
AuthName           mythtv
AuthUserFile       /test
require            valid-user
AllowOverride All
Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

I guess this would work in the /var/www/mythweb/.htaccess file as well,
haven't tried though.

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it.

Mythweb is really a great utility.

Best Regards
Martin Madsen