[mythtv-users] 1394b and SA3250HD STB

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 12:50:14 UTC 2006

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 motherboard which has 3 1394b ports using a
TI chip.  I read in the ieee1394-users list that the Linux driver for 1394b
only supports 800Mbps and does not support 100-400Mbps.  Can anyone confirm
I need to purchase a 1394a card to use for Firewire capture from a
Scientific Atlantic 3250HD?

When I plug the 3250HD into my existing 1394b ports, "plugreport" and
"dmesg" show absolutely nothing; however, when I plug my Sony MiniDV
camcorder in, "dmesg" shows a message about Node attached and it says the
node is not 1394a-2000 compliant.  The fact that the camcorder is detected
but the STB is not worries me.

I have entered the STB advanced menu by holding down the + and then hitting
"exit" on the front panel.  I scrolled down to IEEE1394 and it's definitely
enabled.

I plan to purchase a $12 1394a NEC-based card tonight and see if I have
better luck.  Does this sound like the right avenue to pursue?

Thanks.

/Brian/