[mythtv-users] HDTV reception via Cable

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Mar 9 05:40:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 12:42 am, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> The PVR-XXX can deal with the straight coax, so you'd have all the
> analog channels available at once, multiplexed together, and the tuner
> on the PVR would select which one was being digitized.  With the
> firewire, you're using the cable box's tuner and only getting a single
> channel over the wire.  In this case, the firewire is a two way
> connection, able to tell the cable box to change the channel it's
> sending.  For a coax connection to a PVR, you're not even dealing with
> the tuner on the cable box.
>
> However, the PVR-XXXs also have an S-Video input available, in which
> case you could use it to receive the S-Video output from the cable
> box.  In this case, you would be using the cable box's tuner and could
> use the 6200ch program, which tells the cable box to change channels
> using the firewire.  The advantage to using S-Video would be a cleaner
> signal.  The disadvantage is that you couldn't record two different
> channels at the same time, since both s-video and firewire would be
> relying on the cable box's tuner.

That's a good point. I'm beginning to wonder if my PCI bus can handle
recording SD + HD at the same time, writing the streams to my software
2 SATA disks in RAID-1, and playing back HD from the same array at
the same time...

Anyone running something similar on a 66mhz 32bit PCI bus?
Does it work? :)

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin