[mythtv-users] DirectTV D11 and lirc

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Mar 9 05:20:22 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, Andrew <lists at heathsworld.com> wrote:

> I am looking at installing 2 DirectTV D11 receivers and running them off
> the Double Headed MythTV LIRC RS232 IR Blaster
> (Two Standard IR Heads connected to one DB9) from irblaster.info.  Now
> that I investigate, I see that the D11 has a USB
> port.  Would I be wiser to connect 2 USB cables to my Mythtv box? or just
> go with the dual IR blaster? Any pros or cons?

I suggest using 2 cables instead of IR blasters. Reason being, I know that
serial cables to the D11 box works (it's what I use). I also purchased an IR
blaster and gave up when I couldn't find a configuration that worked.

That being said, you can't just use a USB cable. The USB port on the sat box
is expecting to be connected to a USB->Serial converter, so you can either
use that and plug it into a normal serial port on your PC or use two
USB->Serial converters for each box (4 total in your case).

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB