[mythtv-users] HDTV reception via Cable

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 9 03:18:08 UTC 2006

>>> Would I be able to receive SD cable signals from the same card? Or would
>>> I need an SD card, like a PVR 150?

        (I think he may have been asking about the NTSC tuner on the
PCHD3000 but I guess Kevin covered that.)

r> It's unlikely that you're going to receive all SD channels availble in
r> your lineup; it's very likely that you'll get SD versions of the
r> broadcast channels you have in your area.

        In the SF Bay Area, Comcast is starting to transmit what
some are calling ADS (Analog Digital Simulcast) channels.  These are
digital versions of analog cable channels.  The local networks are
already there as well as CNN, CSPAN, and a few other "cable-only"
channels.  I can record them just fine in MythTV with the PCHD3000 and
the quality is pretty good (582x480 MPEG2, ~2GB/hr).  I think the plan
is for all the analog channels to eventually be available in digital
form.

        Note that these are separate from the SD versions that some
local broadcast networks send themselves.  For example, through the
cable, I now receive *4* versions of the local FOX affiliate:

1. analog NTSC
2. HD
3. SD
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.