[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

Mark Oliver mark_oliver at java2000.com
Thu Mar 9 00:44:58 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>Dag Nygren wrote:
>

>>> And with 250GB SATA drives going
>>>for less than $90 at times, all it takes is a few less cups of Starbucks
>>>for many people to afford ample additional space :)
>>>

>>It is not always that easy. My tiny Shuttle only has room for one
>>drive and I am already at 300G. Upgrading that starts being
>>a bit expensive....
>>

>Every choice has a tradeoff.  There's always USB or firewire external or
>even network attached storage.

While I understand that disk storage is fairly inexpensive, why not
offer a choice that does not cost money.  Earlier in this thread,
someone suggested having different options for livetv recordings, where
the user could choose to limit the size of livetv (thus having livetv
break into smaller parts which would auto expire, regardless of the
actual length of the program) or the user could choose to leave it as is
according to the programming guide.  I know that someone else responded
negatively, but that response was based on a misunderstanding of the
suggestion (thinking that the suggestion would hold true for everyone,
as opposed to being an individual choice).  I have no idea what it would
take to implement such an option, or if it is even possible.  That
choice, though, would allow for something other than one extreme (no
livetv recording of material in the buffer) or the other extreme (must
record livetv to whatever extent the programming guide dictates), and
the individual user would then have control over the extent of livetv
(as opposed to having to accept all or nothing).

mark