[mythtv-users] HDTV reception via Cable

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 21:59:18 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking about switching providers. I've heard about HDTV
> reception/recording
> via Cable. How does that work? Do I just buy an HD-3000 card and plug it
> into my
> analog cable and hope it isn't encrypted?
>
> Would I be able to receive SD cable signals from the same card? Or would
> I need
> an SD card, like a PVR 150?

Jesse,

Theres two methods for HD via cable. One is through a cablebox with
firewire (which is hit or miss right now due to buggy firewire drivers
and some Myth implementation that needs to get fixed) or through QAM
reception via an HDTV tuner card (HD3000, etc). Most likely all you
will get are the OTA stations, some folks are lucky and can get more
than that.

For SD, if you go the cablebox route, the SD channels you get via
firewire will be hit or miss due to 5c digital rights management. I
can get analog cable channels via firewire but none of the other SD
channels so I have a regular cablebox connected to a PVR-150 for all
SD channels (using serial connection for channel changing).

--
Steve