[mythtv-users] IR receiver for non-serial laptop

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 21:39:51 UTC 2006

Charles Lesburg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a frontend in the form of a Compaq Presario 17XL560 laptop
> (500 MHz P3 -- a tad sluggish, but functional).  It's got a parallel
> port, two USB ports, a PCMCIA slot, but *no* serial port.  Anyone have
> recommendations for an IR receiver?  It should be no surprise that I'm
> looking for the cheapest solution.  I've actually got a Hauppauge IR
> receiver from my PVR-150 which I suppose I could plug into the mic
> port, but I don't think that lirc can deal with that.  Any suggestions?
>
> -cal

Have you seen the "IgorPlug USB" from Igor Cesko?
http://www.cesko.host.sk/IgorPlugUSB/IgorPlug-USB%20(AVR)_eng.htm?PHPSESSID=264c5aea6593a77cdf8b5641d16372d2
It's an IR receiver just like the home brew serial type (well not just
like, there are some additions to the circuit, mainly a microprocessor
IC).  In function it works just like the homebrew serial type IR
receiver and LIRC specifically supports this one.  The fun part is you
can build it yourself.
I have a serial type using a radio shack IR IC, but I may make one of
these because it's usb cooooool.
Raphael