[mythtv-users] freezes, Fedora, Myth(TV)ology, NVidia, glx

the4hands at comcast.net the4hands at comcast.net
Wed Mar 8 19:11:56 UTC 2006

> > I'm trying to build my first MythTV system. I'm using FC4 on a system
> > with an AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 739, an ASUS A8N motherboard and a
> > Hauppauge 250 capture card. I'm following Jerod Wilson's instuctions
> > from his Fedora Myth(ology) page. I've done all of the checks
> > along the
> > way. I can watch TV with ivtv and mplayer. I can record with
> > ivtvctl and
> > 'cat /dev/video0'. Everything in Myth seems to go fine until
> > I click on
> > "Watch TV" in the Myth frontend. At that point, my screen
> > goes blank and
> > I get no response from the mouse and keyboard. I can ssh into

> Yeah.  Been there.  Check out your xorg.conf.  You probably have glx
> loaded in the modules section, and nvidia as the driver in the device
> section.  If your system is like mine, then they are grumping at one
> another.  Changing "nvidia" back to "nv" [contrary to Jarod's
> instructions] will let you use your MythBox.  No doubt this is a mortal
> sin, but I haven't been able to find the True Cause yet.  Whats weird is
> that I didn't have this problem in 0.17, 0.18 or 0.18.1.

I've been having similiar problems as well creating MythDora. I'm using the
7676 Nvidia driver version and I'm getting the same glx errors. There are
two workarounds that I've found that work. The first is to comment out glx
in xorg.conf as someone had already mentioned and the second fix I found that
works was to remove the nvidia-graphics7676-1.0_7676 rpm then re-install
it. After that all seems to work fine. I realize not all will be using an rpm based
install but thought I would throw it out anyway. I still can't figure out why it's
not installing correctly.

Dennis