[mythtv-users] mythfrontend "follow me" feature

Rob R rob.r at plutohome.com
Wed Mar 8 16:20:22 UTC 2006

If you want a follow me feature, instead of "poaching" PlutoHome's code and
reinventing the wheel, why not just *use* Pluto, since Pluto supports Myth
for DVR services?   The benefit is that Pluto can turn a Bluetooth cell
phone into a full featured remote control which makes following it a lot
more logical.   Follow me is activated in a menu on the phone.   It won't
just spuriously follow you into the bathroom if you don't want it to. :)

That's one of the big reasons we hired Chris Pinkham to do the telnet socket
interface that was added to Myth 0.19, so we'd have control enough to see
what media streams people are playing, and know where to cue them up on the
next frontend.

For Follow Me to be really useful, you need full control over the AV gear to
turn it on and set it to the right inputs.   That's exactly what Pluto
specializes in: centralized, intelligent management of gear in the whole
home.

-- Rob
PlutoHome