[mythtv-users] Best Sat receiver for Dish Network

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 8 05:28:26 UTC 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:00 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 03/07/06 23:41, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> I've got recording from Dish Network working, but I have to manually
>> set up the channel, due to not having an "RF Blaster" to change the
>> channel on the receiver's second output, which has a UHF remote, not
>> an IR one.
>>

> What model?  Chances are it uses both IR and RF (unless it's the
> second
> tuner of a dual-tuner receiver).

That is precisely what it is, hence the problem. I have the first
channel hooked directly to my TV and I'd like to keep that, and use
the second channel for the Myth system, but it's RF-only control.

>> So, I'm going to see if I can get an additional satellite receiver
>> for my Myth system.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to which one is easiest to control ??
>>

> Don't get a 2-tuner receiver.  The dual-tuner models use IR for
> controlling one tuner and RF for controlling the other.  All of the
> recent 1-tuner models with RF remotes (even my 4922 from several years
> ago) have both an RF /and/ an IR receiver that can be used
> interchangeably (the IR was added to supplement the RF for in-room
> use).  I have a 4922 and a 311 and both work great with IR control
> (even
> though both came with RF remotes).

I figured I could just get a single-tuner basic machine w/composite
or RF out, not the greatest signal but...

>> Is there a model with serial control ??
>>

> Not from DISH.  TTBOMK, DirecTV is the only satellite company with
> serial control of their receivers.

Rats, serial would have made it easy :-(

>> I'm only looking for SD.
>>

> Good because that's all you'll get from a satellite system (unless you
> feel running a Windows box to convert 169time's proprietary firewire
> output into MPEG-2 that can be fed to your Myth box is actually
> acceptable).

Well I get HD from the first channel on this receiver via component
or HDMI, as well as digital audio. The second channel outputs as RF
or composite and is SD only. It's a model 942 receiver, and can also
record HD, up to around 24 hours of 1080i.

There are two USB connectors for "future use", probably the
"pocketDish" I've heard about for one of them, I don't know about the
second. Mayybe I should hook into them and see what I see ??

  My TV also has a USB connector, but in the entire manual there is
absolutely no mention of it, and the hookup diagrams don't show
anything connected to it, so I have no idea what it might be for.

Actually looks pretty good, the main problem is lack of HD content.

Thanks for the input.