[mythtv-users] how to send patch for mythburn

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Mar 7 14:44:26 UTC 2006

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 6:16 am, Paul Harrison wrote:
>
>> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>>
>>> On Monday 06 March 2006 5:30 pm, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>>

> [...]
>

>> Are you trying to compile the plugin standalone? The plugin is designed
>> to compile like _all_ other plugins at least
>> official  ones.
>>

> I'm not so sure about that. I'm trying to compile it like all other plugins
> using Gentoo ebuild scripts. I think mythburn-ui requires the MythTV main
> source code. I don't think that is how the other plugins work.

See below.
>> It will only compile from within the plugins directory.
>> You need to run 'qmake mythburn-ui.pro'  so
>> it can then pickup its setting for  'PREFIX' and all the other settings
>> required to compile and link like include paths
>> from the mythplugins build directory.
>>
>> It needs to find both the mythplugins source and the mythtv sources.
>>

> Is that how the other plugins work? AFAIK they only need the mythplugins
> source. I'm running 0.19-fixes from a few days ago. The plugins and main
> source are distributed as two separate tar.gz's originally, so as I'm trying
> to make an ebuild I have to deal with those files.

Most (All ?) other plugins only require the libmyth headers to compile
which are installed in your include directory somewhere. Mythburn-ui
also requires access to some libmythtv headers. In order to find these
headers it does need the mythtv sources to be installed. It  gets the
location of where the source is installed from the mythconfig.mak file
that is installed during the make install. It should be  in the include
directory. Actually it uses the link to that file that is added by the
configure script I think in the top level mythplugins directory.
> What is the build directory structure supposed to look like? Should I
> unpack the plugins inside the main source tree? Then put mythburn-ui in
> the plugins dir?

The mythburn-ui directory should be in the mythplugins directory along
with mythbrowser, mythmusic etc.
> I've tried a few combinations of things like this without success so far.
> Does the mythtv source have to actually be compiled before I can attempt
> to compile mythburn-ui?

Yes. You need to have done a 'make install' for the source you are
trying to compile against in order to make sure the libmyth headers and
the mythconfig.mak files are installed.
>> Due
>> to recent changes in svn HEAD to how
>> the MythMainWindow is found it won't compile with any revision after
>> r9156. It should work with the fixes branch
>> with no problems.
>>
>> Hope this helps. To be honest I don't wont to spend any more time on the
>> old UI. I want to concentrate on the
>> new one.
>>

> :) We're already talking about a new UI when no code has been officially
> released for the old UI. Is there any code available for the new UI yet?
>
> I just want to see some sort of mythburn working with 0.19. It's the last
> piece of the puzzle to get a fully functional 0.19 now that most of the
> LiveTV issues have been resolved in 0.19-fixes.

There was an announcement both here on the user list and on the
knoppmyth forum when the original UI was made available on sourceforge
via cvs. True there has never been a file download available but that is
not down to me, I don't have administrator access to the sourceforge
site only cvs developer access.

I don't want to make the location of the new UI public just yet. It _is_
publicly available if you know where to look ;-)

Paul H.