[mythtv-users] announce: script for locating QAM channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 7 04:55:35 UTC 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 5:43 PM, Peter Watkins wrote:

> [0] ...like last night, when frontend was playing an ATSC HDTV stream
> [usually ~33% CPU] while the backend daemons were recording ahead
> on the
> ATSC stream, recording an SDTV (Hauppauge PVR-x50 hardware
> capture), and
> running mythcommflag on something or another, and my system
> spontaneously rebooted. According to the calculator at
> http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp, my 350w supply is only about
> 100w more than I need, which sounds like cutting things a bit close.

And you're probably looking at steady state, when you first power on
and all your fan and drive motors are starting at the same time, and
capacitors are charging up, you may well be loading more than an
extra 100 watts for a brief period.

As another poster pointed out, sometimes it is the quality of the
power as much as the quantity. PSUs included with cases can tend to
be low quality, and they start to throw glitchy power long before
they reach their absolute wattage limit.

I think Antec makes some good PSUs (and nice cases, there are
exceptions to the included PS rule).

An item that most users know nothing about and hardly know is in
their case is a golden opportunity for builders to skimp. The only
way to get a really good power supply is to specifically demand one
or purchase it yourself.