[mythtv-users] OT: Firefox Upgrade Problem

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 6 18:44:14 UTC 2006

I seem to be particularly dense today and the 'help' is particularly
obfuscating and useless...
I downloaded Firefox version 1.5.0.1 There are no installation
instructions  in the package, just a  pointer to  go back to the
download page for the installation instructions.

Anyone see where this is heading?

The "Installation" instructions merely say:
"Extract the tarball in the directory where you want to install Firefox:

|"tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz"|

"This will create a |firefox| subdirectory of that directory."

Immediately under that is a section:

      "Other Platforms"

"Extract the compressed archive and run firefox."

Firstly I have no idea where this should be un-tarred...So I tried in my
scratch space and then  in /root/.mozilla. But if I cd into the newly
created firefox directory and run firefox..
I get:  "Cannot find mozilla runtime directory. Exiting."

Can anyone help here?

(Better yet, it now appears that I have munged the original firefox
1.0.7 which will now not start.

Geoff

--
       R. Geoffrey Newbury