[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 6 07:27:54 UTC 2006

On 03/06/2006 12:32 AM, Michael Fox wrote:
> On 3/6/06, Danesh <danesh.i at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> MythTV seems to decide to randomly record stuff and put them into a
>> 'LiveTV' category. This has not been a problem before, but recently it
>> has started preventing me from recording regularly scheduled shows.
>>
> As of 0.19 any time you watch livetv it will record this viewing of
> livetv. Hopefully one of the other users on list can post about how to
> set it to expire quicker then the default settings.

By default, LiveTV recordings will expire in 1 day and you can not make
them expire any more quickly (although you can increase from 1 day to
365 days if you like).  Any short recordings (less than 2 minutes) are
expired almost immediately.

However--and here's the important part--if space is needed for anything
else (such as a recording), the LiveTV recordings will be expired to
make room.  If all the LiveTV recordings are expired and more room is
necessary, other shows will be expired to make room.  Therefore--unless
you've completely messed up your autoexpire settings--LiveTV recordings
will /not/ prevent other recordings.  (Note, also, that unlike in
previous versions of MythTV, you cannot disable autoexpire.)

So, something else is preventing you from recording regularly-scheduled
shows...  (Logs and the "Previously Recorded" page in MythTV would be
useful in telling you what that is.)

Mike