[mythtv-users] ivtv tuner type not set after upgrade to kernel 2.6.15-1.1833

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Mon Mar 6 02:13:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:30:47PM -0800, mrwester wrote:
> I just did smart upgrade on my mythtv system. FC4, everything from ATrpms.
> Everything is/was working great with kernel 2.6.15-1.1831.  Upon upgrading
> to 2.6.15-1.1833, IVTV seems to be broken, even after cold reboot. Using
> ivtv-kmdl-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4.  I have a PVR-350, PVR-500 and (non IVTV
> Fusion5 HDTV) cards for video capture.
>
> Looking at logs I see:  tuner 2-0061: tuner type not set
>
> Only reason for upgrade is routine system maintenance and desire to keep
> system reasonably up to date, so that when I "have" to upgrade for some
> reason, the risk of headaches is minimized.  I'll happily run the earlier
> kernel for now, but does anyone else have this problem?  any ideas on how to
> fix?  Thanks,

Keeping a system up to date is a good policy.

> ivtv: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
> ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
> ivtv: version 0.2.0 (tagged release) loading
> ivtv: Linux version: 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-4.0

You seem to have picked an older ivtv version. How did you install the
kmdl?

In general kmdls cannot be automatically upgraded to the next kernel,
rpm only supports one-dimensional upgrades, and the kmdls upgrade
within the same kernel (e.g. when ivtv is upgraded). The upgrade to
another kernel needs to be aided manually, e.g.

smart/apt/yum install foo-kmdl-`uname -r`

For a package foo when already booted in the new kernel (you can
replace `uname -r` with an explicit string before booting into the new
kernel).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net