[mythtv-users] smart update and upgrade causes tv to be static

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 00:47:03 UTC 2006

On 3/5/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> I can't tell from the posts in this thread (because of the focus on
> ptune.pl and ivtv-tune--which shouldn't ever be used with Myth), but it
> sounds a lot like what you /really/ want is:
>
> Preset tuner to channel
> Leave this blank unless you have an external tuner that is connected to
> the tuner input of your card. If so, you will need to specify the preset
> channel for the signal (normally 3 or 4).
>
> (which has been there since--oh, I don't know--forever?)  If you're
> outputting from an external receiver to your Myth box using an
> RF-modulated signal ("coax"), this tells Myth to always change the
> channel to the one specified.  If you're using S-Video or Composite,
> this should be blank.

I use  a coax for now, and have an external box changing the channel.
I have the setting in myth to tune to channel 3, and have ever since I
began using myth (version .13 I believe), so I am well aware of this
functionality.  That is not what the problem, rather it was that myth
was NOT tuning to that channel, and I dont if this was due to an
upgrade of ivtv or myth, but the upgrade I did, which did both, just
gave me static until i use the ivtv tuning tools to change the
channel.  I realize my solution is not ideal, but it is more ideal
than capturing static.

> However, you're much better off using S-Video or Composite than an
> RF-modulated signal.

and this is likely what I will do.  Even better is if I can go digital
out with the sound into my myth box as well (I noticed a sp/dif input
on the front panel), but likely will just use analog.