[mythtv-users] nvidia (or other) tv-out without deinterlacing?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 5 23:05:46 UTC 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Nick Bartos wrote:

>> What sort of display device are you feeding and through what type of
>> connection ?? Composite connections and even S-Video can do bad
>> things to a good signal.
>
> I have a 36" panasonic HDTV (tube) monitor (early version from a
> few years
> ago).  It has component inputs but I think it only does 480p.
> Currently
> using svideo from the nvidia 6600.  Interesting to note is that I
> have to
> run the svideo through my receiver, or on bootup I get crappy
> output on
> svideo.  It appears that the card autodects the output type (pal/
> ntsc) and
> it gets it wrong when I plug it right into the back of my tv.  Also
> interesting is that if I plug it into the front jack in the tv then it
> will work fine too.  I can plug it into the front on bootup and
> then it is
> fine, and move it to the rear input and it is fine, just doesn't
> work on
> reboot.  But I guess that part isn't really relevant for this, just
> interesting.

Weird, Assuming you are using nVidia's drivers you should be able to
force the video with:

Option "TVStandard" "NTSC"

in your Xconfig file. You might even try "HD480p" although I don't
know how that might work with S-Video out.

> I had considered using an svga->component adaptor but just never
> did it.
> I wonder if I could get away with disabling deinterlacing if I did
> that.
> I live in silicon valley so I am guessing that I could find
> something like
> that here locally.  It would be nice to try it.  I just don't like
> ordering things online if I can help it, mostly when I want to be
> able to
> return something if it doesn't help.

I have just the opposite problem, living in Wyoming. Anything beyond
what the local Radio Shack carries has to be ordered, usually via the
net. The major vendors are pretty good about returns.

The VGA->component adapters are expensive and I've read mixed reviews
as to how well they work.