[mythtv-users] Most tuners in a single machine

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Mar 5 22:26:11 UTC 2006

Greg Woods wrote:
> What is weird about my setup is that the run from the outdoor splitter
> to the basement is probably as long or longer than the run from the
> outdoor splitter to the living room, and yet I can put a three-way
> splitter down in the basement and the PVR-150 in the slave backend down
> there works fine, but putting a two-way splitter in the computer room
> causes too much degradation for either a PVR-500 or an HD-3000. It's not
> always obvious when excessive degradation is going to happen.

I wonder if the installer might not have over-driven a staple on the
basement run installation and caused a signal reflection point in the
run length. That can cause bad S/N problems. If the weather is not too
bad, you could try running a cable from the outside splitter down to the
basement, bypassing the present basement feed and see what you get. From
what you say, it would be better for you to loop the living room feed
down to the basement, rather than live with the bad feed!

Geoff

--
       R. Geoffrey Newbury
     Barrister and Solicitor