[mythtv-users] alternatives to mythmusic?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Mar 5 17:09:57 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 9:21 pm, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> I just set up a new backend/frontend that has completely digital
> outputs (sound and video).  I have my music from my desktop computer
> mounted via samba to the mythbox.  Playing music via myth is no
> problem as intended, but with several thousand music files, it is very
> difficult to navigate with a remote.
>
> Is ther any alternative out there?  Preferably something I can control
> from my desktop?  My windows box is not connected to my receiver via
> digital (it is analog) and I get a nasty ground hum.  I would prefer
> to use the mythbox and control it from a remote computer, even if it
> means not using mythmusic.

mp3act has a jukebox mode which will play on the local machine. I have it
installed on my Gentoo/MythTV box, and I have it streaming, but jukebox
mode isn't working for me right now. No time to debug. Maybe later. :(

I also have gnump3d installed. gnump3d doesn't have a jukebox mode, but it
is capable of downsampling, which I don't believe mp3act can do.

Seems to me like a web based solution would be best.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net