[mythtv-users] Plextor Driver and Fedora Core 4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 5 05:53:20 UTC 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 10:11 PM, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:04:45PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Another weird one:
>>
>> Trying to compile the Plextor drivers on a FC4 system. the drivers
>> compile without errors, but when attempting to load the modules I
>> get :
>>
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
>> snd_go7007: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
>> snd_go7007: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
>>
>> So it looks like the sound driver has some sort of problem.
>
> It looks like the ALSA modules you have loaded are not the ones in
> your
> kernel source.  Did you install ALSA from elsewhere?  -Nathan

In fact this is a MythDora installation. My guess was a kernel
version/module mismatch as well, and I asked the developers about
that, but they assure me that this is a straight Fedora Core 4
installation, and that alsa is from the FC kernel.

Apparently a new FC4 kernel has just come out, and the system is
going to be updated to that, which might correct the problem.

I DLed what was supposed to be the kernel sources for this kernel
version for FC4 as I said, but this is what turned me off to RedHat
years ago, you never really knew how things were compiled and they
played games with the kernel sources that caused me a lot of
problems. Why do they make you jump through hoops just to get the
kernel sources. IMHO there should be *something* linked to /usr/src/
linux that I can go into, type "make", and get the very same kernel
that I am running. For some reason RH does not seem to agree.

But I see a lot of folks running FC4, apparently happily, but I don't
know how many might be using Plextors. The driver worked just fine on
a gentoo 2.6.15 system. At least with Gentoo you *know* your sources
match your executables.

I suppose I could just compile the kernel source tree and install it
and its modules, but I'm afraid that might break some other kernel
modules that comprise this system.

I must say, though, that I have tried a lot of distros and
installation methods for MythTV, and MythDora has worked better than
any others. Most things just plain work out of the box, things that I
sweated for weeks to get even marginally working with other systems.
Generating a DVD of a program with three mouse clicks from a web
interface is pretty cool, and a working MediaMVP is about three lines
of typing and it works. I must say it is a pretty good way to get a
working 0.19 system with little pain.

I am impressed with 0.19, now that I have it mostly running. I really
like the new live TV system, sort of like a browser history for TV.
Kudos to all of the MythTV team that's put together a very nice
system, once you get it working :-)

Thanks for the input.