[mythtv-users] Mythshutdown program

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Mar 4 17:41:00 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oscar Curero" <oscar-listas at naiandei.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythshutdown program

A Dissabte, 4 de Març de 2006 17:07, Paul Harrison va escriure:

>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >Before upgrading my mythtv install to 0.19 I would like to know if it's
>> >possible to know when the backend is recording or watching a record. I've
>> >done some tests and it seems that is impossible.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >--
>> >Oscar Curero - Linux user: 306877
>>
>> Not using mythshutdown you can't. It doesn't need to know that
>> because it works in conjunction with the built in shutdown code
>> of the backend so if you set it up like it says in the docs it will only
>> shutdown when it is idle - not recording and doesn't have any frontends
>> connected etc.

>The problem with the built in shutdown method is that in some cases
>mythfilldatabase won't fetch the EPG because nobody woke up the machine. I
>set up mythfilldatabase to fetch new data between 23:00 and 8:00 every three
>days. I tried to open a new ticket but it was closed because it didn't have
>the associated patch ( #1398).

>Thanks!
>--
>Oscar Curero - Linux user: 306877
>--    GPG keyID: 0xE0EA0B24    --

If you use mythwelcome/mythshutdown you can set up one or two daily periods
when you would like your system to wake up. If you setup mythfilldatabase to run
shortly after you system wakes up during one of these periods that should solve your
problem. mythshutdown wont allow the backend to shutdown while mythfilldatabase
is running. When it does finish and your system is otherwise idle it will then shutdown.
That would run mythfilldatabase every day though not every three days.

Paul H.