[mythtv-users] HD and/or component/DMI graphics card recommendations?

Mike Miller mdm at torg.org
Sat Mar 4 14:47:51 UTC 2006

Neil Bird wrote:
>    Prob. still a way off (no HD source yet, and no current cash to get a
> stonking great flat screen TV), but my parents' purchase of a new Sony LCD TV
> that only has one s-video input got me to thinking.
>
>    What do people with HD setups use for display?
>
>    I currently use a pretty basic nVidia-based card with s-video out.  I've
> seen online [simple connector] converters from DVI to either component or HDMI
> out, but I'm guessing that I'd need specific cards to actually utilise the
> appropriate pins on the connector.
>
>    There was talk of nVidia 6600s having component out (via DVI?), but not all
> of them, and looking at online shops I can see no ref. to this capability.

S-Video is an analog input.   The difference between it and composite is
S-video separates out the luminance and chrominance.  It is still analog
however and will  NOT give yo HDTV output. Also the connectors tend to
be of poor quality so you get bleed over (at least in the dozen or so I
tested).  AS others have posted get a TV with HDMI or DVI and use the
HDMI output on the 6600 (I use a HDMI to DVI cable to my JVC HDilla,
other then the under scan I need it works fine.)