[mythtv-users] How do I change encoder number

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Mar 4 06:40:45 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/03/2006 10:01 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> Paul Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I have been trying to get a particular card working so MythTV thinks I'm
>>> up to encoder#8 , I assume some internal or database field is
>>> incrementing this.
>>> How do I rename this (#8) back to encoder number 2?
>> The easiest way is to enter mythtv-setup, delete all your cards,
>> reconfigure them in the order you want them to be in.  Anything else
>> requires tedious database editing and is prone to error.

With 0.19 this is done in mythtv-setup "2. Capture cards". On the
card selection, select "(Delete all capture cards)". A popup will
ask to confirm. This will reset the capturecard and cardinput tables.

> Definitely true that the database editing is tedious and prone to
> error!!!  Note, also, that you *must* select "Delete All" to reset the
> AUTO_INCREMENT value.  If you individually select rows to delete, it
> will not reset.
>
> For the database editing approach, see:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/63269#63269

This is a bit dated and the links are now wrong. You should make
a backup first http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5
and there is more info about backend configuration and card numbers at
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.13 .

Also, I wouldn't recommend dropping the tables then manually recreating
as this post suggested at the time. TRUNCATE will reset a table without
removing it's definition.

$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
mysql> TRUNCATE TABLE capturecard;
mysql> TRUNCATE TABLE cardinput;

This will do the exact same thing as deleting all cards in mythtv-setup
so just use mythtv-setup .

> Also, note that it really doesn't matter what the cardid is...  Changing
> it is a lot like asking your cable company to change your account
> number.  ;)

True but it's nice to see consecutive numbers on the schedule page.

--  bjm