[mythtv-users] Discovery HD is driving me nuts

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 21:06:07 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/03/2006 03:18 PM, Raphael Pooser wrote:
>
>> Ok so it seems everyone likes the 4:3 zoom mode then.  Looks like I
>> should play around with the drivers on my ATI card since it currently
>> does strange things using that mode.  (Of course the others work right -
>> big surprise).
>>

> Most likely a problem with your DisplaySize setting.  If Myth doesn't
> know the correct aspect ratio of your display, it will be unable to set
> the viewable aspect ratio properly.  Of course, this is just as guess as
> other incorrectly configured settings could also cause "strange things"
> to happen. ;)
No Display Size is ok.  I've experimented with various things like using
GUI size for playback size or setting an exact resultion.  Myth reacts
just fine in the sense that setting 640x480 has the same results as
using 0, 0 when my desktop resolution is 640x480.
The problem happens when trying to scale video in certain ways.  It does
not happen when using 16:9 zoom or stretched, but does show up in 4:3
zoom or any "overscan" settings made within myth.
Essentially the video will be pushed a little towards the top of the
screen and the bottom of the screen will now be filled with a static
image, which is what would have been there in the first frame of the
video had there been no modifications made to the video scaling at all.
Essentially the "overscan" options in myth do not work for me, and 4:3
zoom also displays this same behavior, with even more garbage at the
bottom of the screen.
It's unlikely that it's related to mythtv settings because these
problems were not present - zoom and myth-overscan worked properly -
before I changed from "radeon" to "fglrx".  Hence I keep blaming the
video drivers.
Raphael