[mythtv-users] MythTV Version Recommendation

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Mar 3 19:47:07 UTC 2006

Mark Drago wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 13:48 -0500, LP Tilly wrote:
> First off, I can't speak for the stability or quality of any MythTV
> release because I haven't installed it yet.  I'm in the process of
> building a system and for now am just lurking on the list to get an idea
> of the problems people are having and the hardware that they're using.
> With that being said, I have seen this idea come up fairly often that
> software somehow gets more stable with age.  The fact of the matter is
> that the code that comprises the 0.18 release is the same code now that
> it was when it was released.  That is to say that the stability of 0.18
> the day after its release and its stability today is exactly the same.
> The only thing that changes over time is our perception of its
> stability.  We feel more confident in the stability of software because
> it has been around longer.

No, that isn't what we mean at all. We mean that bug fix releases of
0.19 come out, and 0.19.5
(nonexistant version at this point) is usually more stable than 0.19.

Currently, you can check out 0.19 from SVN's stable branch, and it's
usually more stable than 0.19
in the tar.gz on the website. Both of these are referred to in general
as "0.19", but it's good if you
mention that one is from SVN and one isn't.

0.18.1 has a *much* more stable livetv system than 0.19 right now.
Hopefully that will change in
the near future.

--
Jesse Guardiani