[mythtv-users] MythTV Version Recommendation

LP Tilly mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:48:11 UTC 2006

Greetings, all.

I am running SUSE 9.3 on a 1.4 GHz P4, 512MB RAM.  I just bought a PVR-150
primarily for the purpose of capturing from camcorder, VCR and Laser Disk
player and burning them to DVD ( I use QDVDAuthor / Kino primarily ).  I
will be installing the card this weekend and figured I would start poking
around with MythTV.  If I can show some usefullness and ease-of-use to the
spouse it will be easier justifying a more complete media-center solution a
little down the road.

At this point the box will serve as both frontend and backend, but will have
very low MythTV usage. I will record just a couple shows per week and
generally burn off to DVD rather than watching via MythTV ( machine is no
where near our TV ).  We have only basic cable, no satalite and no premium
channels ( TV plays a very small role in our life, but we take serious what
we do watch ).

I know v0.19 is out, but I'm leaning to .18 since it's been around a bit ( I
need to keep my machine fairly stable and don't use too much bleeding-edge
packages ).  This is one reason I haven't moved to SUSE 10 yet.  So, are
there any major reasons why I should consider 0.19 at this point or would
0.18 be a good choice now and maybe look at 0.19 if the project expands?

advTHANKSance!
-L