[mythtv-users] Can I downsize my HD mpg instead of transcoding tompeg4 in nupple?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 06:53:56 UTC 2006

>  I  should have provided a few more details.  I don't have a HD display.
> All my viewing is done from SD tv's or a laptop over 802.11b so svcd is
> acceptable to me, dvd would be just about right.  More is better but 720p is
> overkill by a long shot.  I currently transcode to mpeg4 640x380 or so but
> I'm tired of having to patch XBMC, change to avi, or be restricted to VLC (I
> didn't care much for DSmyth).  It would also be easier to drop a recording
> on a dvd or cd for thouse time's I want to share.

MythTranscode supports transcoding mpeg2 --> mpeg2.  I think most
people tend to use it to trim the beginning 'junk', the commercials,
and the ending 'junk' from their recordings, but I don't see why you
couldn't use it to re-encode your mpeg2 files to a smaller size
(resolution AND bitrate).

Good Luck!

Chad