[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend on Damn Small Linux (DSL)

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Fri Mar 3 03:52:49 UTC 2006

Jeremy Silber wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'd really like to have a bootable USB key containing a lightweight
> linux distro like Damn Small Linux (DSL) and mythfrontend 0.19.  This
> would let me boot a laptop and use it as a frontend without messing
> with the laptop's OS.  I briefly tried booting ubuntu from CD on one
> old laptop, and the boot time was horrific... so I'm trying to find a
> distro to fit on my 512MB USB key.
>
> Has anyone built mythfrontend for DSL, or found a way to pare down
> another distro like KnoppMyth so it would run off a 512MB usb key?

I've been thinking about this but DSL uses kernel 2.4 as it's a bit
smaller than 2.6, however in my very small personal survey of trying to
boot it on my VIA system with a CLE266 chipset, it didn't auto configure
the LAN (Smoothwall uses 2.4 too and I know a lot of people run it on
similar systems so it's not an insurmountable problem I just didn't have
time), I think the drivers in 2.6 are better (as long as you don't have
a phillips webcam or a 'hardware" RAID card of the software type) so
would prefer to use a newer kernel.

I think Puppy linux uses 2.6.

--
Don't know....
I'm midway through a game of musical computers....