[mythtv-users] Low volume on second PVR-150

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Mar 3 02:54:31 UTC 2006

    > Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:13:02 -0800
    > From: John Biundo <johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net>

    > I could swear I saw something about this recently, but no amount of
    > searching the archives has turned it up.

    > I just installed a second PVR-150 card in my 0.19 system.  I have a
    > couple of questions, but one main problem:

    > The audio level on one of the cards (I'm a bit confused about which card
    > it is -- that's part of one of my questions which I'll save until later)
    > is now noticeably lower than the other.  The "good" card seems to have
    > audio levels consistent with what I remember (i.e., put the receiver
    > volume knob at 8 O'clock for comfortable listening).  The other card
    > needs to be cranked up another few notches to be loud enough.

You probably didn't find anything because there wasn't much to find.
I complained about this a couple months ago, and added a wishlist item
at the wiki that points at several of the messages in the thread.
Several others have complained as well, both before and after me, both
here and in the ivtv-specific lists.  But it's not high enough on any
developer's priority list to get addressed, at least not at the
moment.

I may to make a patch that enables a variety of audio level settings,
but it won't happen before I'm running .19, and that won't happen for
at least a month and probably two or more, so that leaves plenty of
time for somebody to please beat me to it... :)

[The fundamental problem is that there is substantial variability
among models, revisions, and even batches of cards---it doesn't look
like Hauppauge calibrates the audio levels in any way, so it's fairly
random.]