[mythtv-users] Most tuners in a single machine

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 2 20:53:00 UTC 2006

On Mar 2, 2006, at 1:38 PM, James Minihane wrote:

> Ultimately I'll have 3-4 front ends, plus want the ability to
> record at
> the same time.
> That means at LEAST 6 tuners. Even if I use the PVR-500, that's
> still 6
> PCI slots. The additional input ports for the 2nd encoder on the
> PVR-500
> takes up a PCI slot in the case, even if it doesn't take up a slot
> on the
> board.
> Has anyone tried a passive backplane case for all of the additional
> slots?

A lot of cases have blanks that will accept a bracket that do not
correspond to a PCI slot. My Mid-Tower case has 2 more bracket blanks
than any mobo could have slots.

My mobo came with a bracket that has 2 USB connectors, intended to be
used with the mobo headers I guess.

Coolers, light switches and other thigns are designed to go into a
bracket but do not need slots, hence the case designs I guess.

Any of these case designs might help your problem.