[mythtv-users] Using non xbox remotes with the official xbox remote usb receiver

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 17:53:38 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:

> > I believe that the IR receiver on the XBox only accepts a limited
> > number of codes, mostly those produced by the XBox DVD Remote itself.
> > This is probably true for most remote/IR receiver pairings.  If your
> > Hauppauge PVR happens to send the same codes as the XBox DVD Remote,
> > then you could try it out.
>
> This is interesting, because when I asked about this in a separate
> thread, and someone said that the XBox IR receiver was just a USB IR
> dongle with very little that was special about it, and should be able
> to receive other signals, if LIRC is reconfigured.
>
> Anyone out there that's actually done this? Or experimented with it?

I really didn't do any proper testing with every single remote I had
against the XBox IR receiver, so don't put any stock in my statement
that the IR receiver only accepts a limited number of codes.

It is likely that what you read from other sources about the IR
receiver is correct.  All I know for sure is that it doesn't work with
the XBox360 remote; but it can receive signals from the XBox DVD
Remote and the XBox Media Center Extender remote.