[mythtv-users] 0.19, XvMC, and Prebuffer pause

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 1 22:29:20 UTC 2006

On 03/01/2006 04:04 PM, Joe Silver wrote:
> Another thing I wonder about this issue and the upgrade from 0.18 to
> 0.19 is how the digital capture cards capture the incoming video
> stream.  I recall in 0.18, in mythtvsetup, there was a recording
> option to force the card to capture in TS mode instead of PS; this
> option is now missing,

Digital capture cards (DVB/ATSC) now always capture the stream as
broadcast--in TS.  Previously, Myth allowed you to request that it
rewrite the TS stream as PS on the fly, but this is no longer supported.

If you want to change TS to PS, you can use the MPEG2-MPEG2 transcoding
feature in 0.19 for this (the transcoder always outputs PS).  Doing so
can reduce video size by as much as about 20% even without cutting
commercials.

> but there is another option now which says "Using Hardware MPEG
> decoder".  Is this the same option just with a new setting?

No.  This allows you to play back standard definition video through a
PVR-350's hardware decoder to the TV.  It has nothing to do with capturing.

Mike