[mythtv-users] IOBOUND error over cifs (to nslu2)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 1 15:18:35 UTC 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 8:02 AM, Steve Malenfant wrote:

> That was already done... de-underclock and running unslung 5.5 beta.
> Some people were saying on this forum that cifs would be better than
> NFS for myth, that's why I'm not using NFS on my slug.
>
> I'll try NFS, will see...  I might just reformat my box this weekend
> and give linux a bit more space to store a few full show and then copy
> it to the slug.

Sounds like you have a handle on the "alternative firmware"
situation, just wanted to be sure.

I have found UnSlung to be the *least* satisfactory of all the
alternatives. Way too many compromises in order to maintain
compatibility with the original Linksys firmware.

If you really need the slug to behave like it did out of the box I
guess it's the way to go, but OpenSlug or DebianSlug have both
performed much better for me, and you can get the latest release of
Samba set up the way *you* want it to be, not what somebody in Taiwan
thinks is best for you :-) But as always YMMV and I speak only for
myself.

If you want/need a graphical web setup for Samba, SWAT will give you
that in a much less confusing manner than the original firmware.

About the best thing about the original F/W is the backup options,
while they can be duplicated on any Linux system they certainly are
conveniently set up with UnSlung.

Sure is a nice little box for $90US though.