[mythtv-users] Can I stop the truncation of pre-roll/post-roll

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Wed Mar 1 09:41:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 05:13:12PM +1000, ffrr wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> >>Is it possible to stop the truncation of pre-roll/post-roll?
> >>
> >Global pre/post roll is soft and not meant to cover programming slides
> >that networks do.  It is designed to account for slight delays in
> >starting up recorders, etc.

These are labelled

  Time to record before start of show (in seconds)
  Time to record past end of show (in seconds)

in mythtv-setup.  There is one global setting.

AFAIK you can't set this in mythtweb.

> >The per-program pre/post roll is hard and will cause the scheduler to
> >always record it.  Use this if you want to guarantee that you get the
> >roll, but be warned, it will bump other programs as conflicts if this
> >happens.  In that case, get yourself enough tuners to handle all the
> >schedules you have.

These are labelled

  Start recording on time / X minutes early / late
  End recording on time / X minutes early / late

for each recording schedule in the scheduling options in mythfrontend.
There are lots of these, one per recording.

You can set this in mythweb too - its labelled

  Start Early: [X] minutes
  End Late:    [X] minutes

In the edit recording schedule page

> Can I check some terminology here? Is the 'per-program pre/post roll'
> you refer to, the same thing as 'start early / end late settings' that
> Rudy was talking about earlier? (copy of what he said below...)
>
> Short answer: you are mis-using. For the behaviour you want, you need to
> use the start early / end late settings, which actually change the
> scheduler times. The pre- ad post-roll are for a different purpose (like
> getting the backend running in time when using a lan wake-up, allowing
> for long tuner times, things like that).

I think they are, yes.