[mythtv-users] Connecting to external cable box

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Jun 30 21:46:59 UTC 2006

John Dressler wrote:

>> 2.  Regular TV output.  Here you need something to record the output
>> (PVR-150, etc.) from the s-video or coax output from your box and then
>> you need something else (IR blaster or serial port) to change channels
>> when needed.  In the capture card setup you specify a channel changing
>> script that is called whenever Myth needs to change the channel.   That
>> script either sends commands to the serial port or manipulates the IR
>> blaster as needed.
>>

> Yeah, I'm option 2 (using the serial wire and I have the cable
> connected via coax). Can you explain to me how I would do this. What
> do I set Video device and default input to?

If you're using a PVR-150 type device, the coax connector is the Tuner.
Now that I write, I'm not sure you can use the coax connector because
being a Tuner, it is expecting to tune to a channel.  I suppose this
would work if the cable box has an option to set the output to a
particular channel (like channel 3 for the old days of VCRs).  Once you
configure the external channel script, Myth will no longer try to tune
the tuner and just leave it on the default channel you set up.

Kevin