[mythtv-users] Capture card with component video in?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 08:31:09 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Robert La Ferla <robertlaferla at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for a capture card with component video in.  Ideally with
> spdif in also that can be synced.  If not, analog audio in is okay.
>
> Recommendations?

The only one I've ever seen mentioned was somewhere around 3,000 USD,
and it seems like the discussion was around whether it would actually
be able to capture true HDTV.

So, I think that if you actually are planning on capturing from an
HDTV you check the following options:
* Firewire from your cable box to your mythbox (but only of the
unencyrpted channels)
* Down converting the video via an S-Video out on your cable box and
into something like a PVR-150.
* For the few channels that you cannot get unencrypted, give up the
ability to "Myth" them and just pipe them directly into your TV.

Until the day when hardware manufacturers are able to somehow get
component captured (maybe with PCI-e), this is about the extent of
what you'll find.

Good Luck!

-Chad