[mythtv-users] Anyone using a USB wireless adapter on an Xbox?

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Wed Jun 28 16:34:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:26:57AM -0400, Fred Squires wrote:

> Also, I've heard that the WRT54G can be used as a bridge if you install
> modified firmware on it.  That could be a cheaper solution than an actual
> bridge and easier than running 50' cables.

My MythTV backend uses a WRT54GS device running the bridge mode provided by
DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) project. Other devices also use the WRT54GS as a
bridge. I'm able to watch relatively high bitrate SD video (nearly as high
bit/sec usage as my ATSC HD recordings) over the 802.11g network *if* the
frontend (in my case a Hauppauge MediaMVP) is connected via ethernet to
the 802.11g AP device (also a Linksys running DD-WRT) *and* has a reasonable
data stream buffer -- there's not enough bandwidth in my house for the video
to go wirelessly to the AP and then again wirelessly to a frontend[0], and
without a data buffer, MVPMC stutters a bit playing with Mythproto (I have
not tried playing videos using NFS for the data).

DD-WRT has many useful features beyond bridge mode (I've found it useful
to increase the radio TX power a bit). You *might* be able to use DD-WRT
with a plain WRT54G -- read the wiki support info carefully -- later
WRT54G run VxWorks instead of Linux; only very recently have I heard
of DD-WRT running on one of those units, and it's a more stripped-down
version of DD-WRT.

-Peter

[0] when I had less space in my BE, I recorded SD at lower bitrates (~2 GB/hr)
and could watch SD over two wireless hops (with the MediaMVP frontend and the
MythTV backend on separate DD_WRT bridges, communicating through a central
DD-WRT AP). When I added disk space, I increased the bitrate and needed to
use a wired connection for one of the two devices; I didn't try to determine
the maximum bitrate for both FE and BE to use wireless-G bridges.