[mythtv-users] MythPopupBlocker?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 27 18:20:49 UTC 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> As if detecting commercials wasn't hard enough.  Soon, the recorder
> may
> have to detect "pop-up" ads and send the right keystroke to dismiss
> them...
>
> http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBST3SOQOE.html?imw=Y
>
> "For now, the new pop-up features are subtle and voluntary for viewers
> holding the remote control."
>
> Which says to me, "But wreaks havoc on PVR's."

Pretty scary.

And perhaps another reason to look into the non-traditional on-demand
services like ITVN and Akimbo.

I know Dish Network came up with the "feature" of on-screen caller-ID
in order to get  subscribers to connect their receivers to a
telephone line, which many had resisted doing.

Of course a cable STB can "call home" via the internet, unlike
present satellite receivers which rely on a landline telephone for
the return path.

What's funny is that all this was experimented with by General
Instrument and others 20 years ago in Scottsdale, the East Valley of
LA and other places. It seems to have taken until now for it to even
begin to get implemented.