[mythtv-users] HD hardware: what next?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Jun 26 16:08:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 15:24 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 12:33 -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>
> > > FIREWIRE FROM MOTOROLA DCT-6412 CABLE BOX
> > > Just flat out won't work. I have tried powering off the cable box,
> > > unplugging the firewire cable, and rebooting the system countless times,
> > This is probably a firmware problem.
>
> If that is my problem then obviously I am hosed. I could get Comcast to
> swap boxes and I suppose there is a small chance that would help. But I
> am a bit afraid to mess with it because that box is my only currently
> working source of HD. My theory was, once I had the HD3000 working, I
> wouldn't need the Comcast DVR any more and I would be more free to
> experiment, probably with a non-DVR box.

If you get HDTV, they are required by law to provide you a working box
upon request. The box should not require DRM for over the air channels.
There is some controversy as to whether over the air HDTV channels are
included in the FCC definition of over the air channels, so depending on
how your cable provider parses the language of the law you may or may
not get these channels. You will usually get all or most non-premium
channels as well, once you get a working box.

> > but instead PCI timeouts causing the problem.
> You obviously know much more about that sort of thing than I do,
> but how did you determine that?
By setting the PCI timeouts and getting things to work :)
lspci and setpci are the tools you need. Sometimes the
BIOS also gives you some control over the latency timer.

-- Daniel