[mythtv-users] Commercial skipping

mooshie nsmith5 at umbc.edu
Sun Jun 25 21:04:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 16:39 -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 6/25/06, mooshie <nsmith5 at umbc.edu> wrote:
> > For commercial skipping, does the "all" option mean that _every_
> > condition "blank screen, logo, scene change, etc" must be met, or just
> > one of those conditions? The first would mean that "all" is very
> > restrictive, while the latter would mean "all" is very liberal.. if I
> > had a guess I would guess that it's the latter
>
> It means all methods are used to calculate the most likely commercial
> start/stop point. Each method is used in scanning and the positions
> each method finds are given points according to the likelyhood of that
> position being a commercial cut point, the positions with the most
> points are then flagged.

Cool answer, thanks. If commercial obfuscation is used to trick DVR
programs, is that usually more on the local content provider side, or
the channel side, or both? I'm trying to twiddle down the reasons why
recording Deadliest Catch on the Discovery channel isn't flagging
commercials, and if it's a settings issue, or if the Discovery channel
is just good at confusing DVR programs.. I know myth isn't perfect at
commercial removing.

Nate