[mythtv-users] MythTV, Fedora 4, PVR-350 Install: Jared Wilson's Process

Matt Day fourstar77 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 25 13:41:04 UTC 2006

Hello,

I apologize if I double post, as I sent a previous message, but just realized that I had previously unsubscribed to the list.

My system includes:

Athlon XP 1700
Radeon 9700 Pro
Hauppauge 350 PVR
512 MB Ram
Sound Blaster Live

I need to preface this message with a qualifier that I am a newb wrt MythTV and Fedora.

I have been following Jared Wilson's instructions to the T, without any issues.  Everything seems to have worked fine up to step 10: Get and Install Capture Card Drivers.

ISSUE 1) I got to the point where I need to find out what frame buffer my device has that ivtiv-fb grabs.  I type in the command:   cat /var/log/messages |grep "iTVC15 TV out"
However I get no result.  In the example there is a result like:   Feb 7 21:17:39 htpc kernel: fb1: iTVC15 TV out frame buffer device
But I get nothing.  No message, nothing.  It just prompts me.

ISSUE 2) I wanted to go one step further to see if things were okay with my process, so I successfully placed a test image on my tv with the following:
 /sbin/rmmod saa7127
/sbin/modprobe saa7127 test_image=1

And then unloaded and reloaded saa7127 without the test image.

Then I tried to play video off the card on my tv with the following:
 /usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb0 -noglobalalpha -localalpha

However I get an error that says that Option localalpha must be set to yes or no.  I am guessing that has something to do with there being a "no" in front of global alpha, and there needing to be one in front of local alpha.  However the instructions have neither, so I do not know what to put in there.

So that is where I am at this point.  As I said before, I am a newb, so troubleshooting beyond the very basics is a challenge on my own.  Any guidance on my 2 issues would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to go ahead without rectifying this stuff because I don't want to miss something that I need.

QUESTION:  Oh, one more thing.  Throughout the instructions, Jared refers to running "X" on the PVR350's output.  What does that mean?  Does that just mean using the PVR 350's output as the output for the myth system, or does it mean something completely different?

Any guidance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

fourstar77