[mythtv-users] PVR-150 MCE captures nothing but static

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 25 02:26:02 UTC 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Pete Cap wrote:

> Oh, I've gotten it working--using component or S-Video.
> I was also able to capture video off of the set-top box using
> coaxial, but it was full of static (audio wasn't so bad, but video
> was poor).
>
> The video captures, when played back, seem "teary."  I'm not sure
> if lower quality than "live" TV is to be expected or not.

A capture will of course have *some* degradation from the original,
but it should look good enough that to most folks it is "just as
good". This assumes you are using the default recording parameters or
better. It sure sounds like tyou still haven't got the STB output
tuned in properly.

How does the RF output of the STB look when fed directly into a TV
set ? If that's OK then you want to make absolutely sure that the STB
and the PVR's tuner are on the same channel. Most STBs output on
"standard" channels (ie: not HRC).

> The computer is supposed to record and store video but I am using
> an xbox to actually play it back (via samba).  I would prefer to
> leave it in my office and not have it sitting in my living room,
> but I suppose I could put it behind a plant or something.  The
> issue then is whether or not I can control mythtv from a terminal
> session (scheduling etc.) or if I can get this old box to push an X
> session to my desktop.

Why not run a true frontend on the X-Box ? I've never seen this done
but apparently is is pretty common and works acceptably well for SD.